Somewhere over the rainbow-me on Cello!

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Sharpie Mug!

Hey everyone! Sorry I haven't posted in forever! I'm trying to get back in the groove though. :) Today I have an awesome craft for you all! I got the idea from a pin on my Pinterest


Sharpie Mugs!


I know you're thinking, "What Bekah? Sharpie Mugs? What in the WORLD are you talking about??"


Well, just let me explain!



I am a 5th year this year for Girls Camp. That means I have a PJS group (PJS stands for Prayer-Journal-Scriptures. We meet for 30 minutes each day and we talk about different things in the gospel. We also do it at night, so we are most-likely in our pjs). I want the girls to have something memorable so they will always remember camp. I have 3rd years, which means they hike Table Rock (can't get more memorable than that, if you know what I mean... lol). My 3rd year my PJS leaders gave us socks that all the girls in our group signed. I don't quite know where they are now (I'm so sorry!), but after I first wore them, I was afraid to wash them because I didn't want the sharpie to wash out. With the cups, it's the same concept, but in cup form! And you don't have to worry about it washing off (unless you put it in the dish washer, then it washes off)! 


So, I went to the dollar store today and bought 8 cups (6 for PJS and 2 extra). I grabbed a tester cup, washed it, and went on to some of my boards on Pinterest to find some ideas for a cup. I finally came up with a quote that I loved (and trust me, I found quite a few, and put them on their own little board here). This is the quote:


"God changes
caterpillars into butterflies,
sand into pearls,
and coal into diamonds
using TIME and PRESSURE.
He's working on you too."
~Rick Warren

I can always use a little encouragement in the morning, so this quote seemed to fit just right!

I didn't get any photos of the process, but I do have outcome photos and some advice for your own mug-sterpieces (see what I just did there? hehe!)!


I "embraced the camera" for you all today. 
I didn't feel particularly photo-takey today, but I thought you would like the pics!
Instructions:
*Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. 
*I suggest washing your mug, but you can do whatever you want!
*After decorating your mug with your sharpie art/quote/whatever-floats-your-boat-ness (and BTW, you can use whatever color you want!!), get a cookie sheet and pop it into the oven for 30 minutes.
*After 30 minutes is up, pull the mug and cookie sheet out of the oven. DO NOT TOUCH THE SHARPIE ON THE MUG!!! IT WILL SMEAR! I tell you this from personal experience...
*LET IT COOL! DO NOT DO ANYTHING TO IT UNTIL IT IS DRY!!
*Once it is cool, you can do whatever you want with it! 
*DO NOT WASH IT IN THE DISH WASHER!! I do not know this one from personal experience, but I am listening to the person that wrote the blog post that I pinned and I am not washing it in the dishwasher. I did wash it by hand, and it turned out fine!
*The colors can change hue after being baked. My light yellow turned into a golden yellow. I was actually worried that I wouldn't be able to see it very well, but it came out fine! For the most part though, it either stays the same hue or goes a bit darker.

Isn't that neat? And you could do it with more than just mugs. You could use plates, bowls, cups, anything ceramic! :) Now that I think about it, I could have used plates... there would have been more room too... lol well, I like the cups, so they aren't leaving! I haven't tried using cups with color already on it, but I bet you could do that!

Comment on what you think and how it went for you! I hope you all have a great day and don't forget your camera!!








CheletheCello


I {heart} linky parties!!
Photobucket



No comments:

Post a Comment