Somewhere over the rainbow-me on Cello!

Friday, July 15, 2011

ThePianoGuys, Steven Sharp Nelson and Jon Schmidt!

So, as you know, I play the Cello. I've gotten to meet a few amazing Cellists as well.One of them is Steven Sharp Nelson! (I would link you to his site, but it's been compromised again. :/ If you are willing to go though, it is http://www.stevensharpnelson.com) I first got his Sacred Cello CD in Christmas 2009 I believe. I got it at the Deseret Book store in my area. I got it because I haven't been able to find very many LDS Cello CDs. I immediately fell in love with his music! As I have gotten more familiar with his music, he has become more of a star in the eyes of the world. He has recently teamed up with ThePianoGuys. ThePianoGuys is a music dealer in St. George, Utah. They decided to combine their video-making skills with the amazing artists who were coming though their store. You might recognize their name because they won YouTube's on-the-rise channel contest last month. Steven is just one of the many.

Moonlight! It just came out this week! :D
I first got to meet Steven a few months ago up in Rexburg where he was playing with Paul Cardall. Before hand, I had just really met him online though email, you tube, and Facebook. Let me tell you, when I met him in person, I was so excited my hands were shaking! I was like a little girl meeting one of those Disney stars... I even brought my camera! But I was so excited I forgot to get a picture! (I think that can tell you how excited I was, because, you know me, a complete shutter bug!) It was a great concert though! :D It was mainly about Paul, but he let Steven and Marshal McDonald play for a few minutes. Let me tell you, I was in laughing fits the entire time! XD Let me write a portion of what I wrote for my journal entry that day:



"After trying to decide [what to play], Marshal wants to play 'Pachabell's Cannon in D Major.' Any Cellist knows that THAT piece is THE most boring Cello and Piano piece in the history of mankind! The same 8 notes over and over again. Here is what they said:

Steven: Pick whatever you want Marshall
Marshall: Well, there is this piece that I have loved ever since I was a little kid.
S: And what piece is that?
M: Pachabell's cannon in D Major
S: No no no no no
M: Well, you said whatever I wanted!
S: Marshall, when a Cellist says "anything," they mean anything BUT Pachabell's cannon!

He ends up playing it because the audience really wants him to. Before he starts, he says, 'I have two theories of why Pachabell wrote a boring cello part. Theory one is that he wrote the Piano, Violin and Viola parts, and then after writing the first 8 notes of the Cello part, he died (he put an emphasis on died. haha), or, theory two, he dated a Cellist, and it didn't turn out so well...' Needless to say, I laughed the entire time!!! First, he snored and fell asleep, but woke himself up. Then he grabbed a banana and tried eating it with his left hand. That didn't work, so he tried eating it with his right hand. That really didn't work! (can you imagine trying to eat and play with your bow-hand? lol!!) Then he moved it back to his left hand and finished eating it. Then he threw the peel at the Violins (muahahaha)!! Then he started getting tired and fell asleep over his cello! His bow was still moving, so it created a sound like he was snoring (and it was screechy too!)! Then Marshall stopped playing and woke Steven up. Then they played a jazzed-up version of it :D"

This is from the Lycem Music Festival down in SLC, Utah. I didn't go to it, but the picture was on Steven's site, and that is exactly what he did at the concert!


The concert was great though. I was on cloud nine for the rest of the night (and I get back on it when I think about the concert!). I was so sad when we had to leave, but we had about an hour drive back, and it was already 11 pm. We didn't get home till about 12-12:30 am... hehe it was totally worth it though!! :D

If you noticed, I also put Jon Schmidt's name in this post too! You might recognize his name because him and Steven wrote "Love Story meets Viva La Vida" (Which is now legally "Love Story Meets Love Story") and "Michael Meets Mozart" (let me tell you, I watched Michael Meets Mozart when it first came out at midnight. I totally geeked out! I was so excited and happy and didn't fall asleep till like 2 am... on a school day... haha. I didn't care though! I was totally pumped!)

Michael Meets Mozart!

Behind the Scenes of Michael Meets Mozart!

I first met Jon when he came to Riverton, Utah (I was living near-by at the time). I was, oh, probably like 10. I had just started to learn how to play the Piano (Jon is a pianist!). He was really funny and after the concert, I got to meet him and he signed a CD for me and another one for my Piano teacher (I got her one because it was Christmas and I thought she would like it. She did! :D) I have gone to 2 more of his concerts since then (once at a Best of EFY and once down at Snake River Highschool) . He is amazing and if he is ever in your area, getting a ticket is definitely worthwhile! :D

Jon and Steven, like I said before, are collaborating with ThePianoGuys to make lots of wholesome entertainment. Michael Meets Mozart, Behind the scenes of Michael Meets Mozart, Moonlight, The Cello Song,  Bittersweet, and Dumb Song are my favorites that have come out on their channel. I suggest watching all of them! And because I am so nice, I will put them all right here on this page, just for you! :D

The Cello Song! Based off of Bach's Prelude for Suite No. 1 for Unaccompanied Cello. If you go to the video's YT page, he explains it in full detail in the summary-thing.

Bittersweet! This is Jon's son!

Dumb song!! :D I have actually heard this one live! He actually sings when he plays it live, and if he doesn't play it at concerts, he says he gets hate mail! (I can believe it!)

Well, Jon is coming out with a new video next week. I will post it on here A.S.A.P.! I hope you all have a great day and don't forget your camera!


1 comment:

  1. I am regular visitor, how are you everybody? This post posted at this website
    is truly fastidious.
    Feel free to surf my blog - Rocket Piano Learning Kit

    ReplyDelete